So my big idea to make a ring from the Moonah castings was nearly a disaster.
My out of practice soldering was not a pretty sight. In frustration I tried fusing the join and it worked, although my third attempt ended in a puddle of molten silver.
To top everything else off brilliantly, the rings were all too small, even for a child. So, not a great day, but I still enjoyed every minute. I felt like a kid in a sandpit playing with my toys.
Today I approached the ring differently. I used the planishing hammer which gave me more length. Not prepared to be defeated by the soldering, I took my time and made the two ends meet perfectly before attempting to solder. It worked like a dream.
Slow and steady wins the race. I even managed to stretch the rings I made yesterday using the planishing hammer on the mandrel. So I feel like I'm now making a piece of jewellery that has some character.
I like that the organic texture is obvious on the side of the ring. It could be worn on it's own or in a group of two or more for added drama.